The National Map partnership network cultivates and maintains long-term relationships with
partners and develops agreements for The National Map and other initiatives that support USGS
science. Partnerships are the foundation The National Map because they leverage funding across
organizations to provide significant cost savings, reduce redundancy in geospatial data acquisition and
stewardship, and ensure availability of common base data to a broad range of users and applications.
Fiscal Year 2012 Highlights
- Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife - Partnership to update the National Hydrography Dataset (NHD) waterbody features for stocked lakes in the State.
- Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) - Partnership to migrate WDFW fish passage barriers to the NHD.
- Washington State Department of Ecology - Partnership to migrate lidar-generated hydrographical data from local and State agencies into the NHD.
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency - Partnership to acquire over 603 square miles of high-resolution imagery over Spokane to support community planning, emergency response, and science, environmental, and mapping user communities.
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, King County - Partnership to acquire over 4,098 square miles of high-resolution imagery over the Puget Sound to support community planning, emergency response, and science, environmental, and mapping user communities.
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, Clark County - Partnership to acquire over 657 square miles of high-resolution imagery over Vancouver to support community planning, emergency response, and science, environmental, and mapping user communities.
- Washington State Department of Ecology - Partnership project to update the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) for Washington State.
FGDC CAP Grant Support
- Washington State Department of Ecology - (Category 2: ISO Geospatial Metadata Standards Implementation) - The Northwest Straits Commission will create International Organization of Standards (ISO) metadata for nearshore geospatial data posted by formatting associated metadata for data collected by the Island County Marine Resources Committee (MRC) and partner agencies and organizations. Their intent is for methods used to be transferrable to the MRCs in six other counties of Puget Sound that are part of the Northwest Straits Initiative. In collaboration with the Washington Department of Ecology (WDOE) and the city of Bellingham, they will use existing data to (1) create the ISO-compliant metadata for Island County data on the Web application SoundIQ; and (2) convert, create, and document the lessons learned to inform WDOE and other agencies and organizations' efforts to transition. They will publish the ISO metadata to the Washington State Geospatial Clearinghouse (WSGC).
- State of Washington Department of Natural Resources - (Category 5: FGDC-endorsed Standards Implementation Training and Outreach) - This is a pilot project to develop a process to adopt the draft of a standard format for digital publication of geologic maps (NCGMP09) for use at the Washington State Department of Natural Resources, Division of Geology and Earth Resources (WADGER), which will also result in a model that can be used by other State geological surveys in their USGS mapping endeavors. This project will involve customization of the geodatabase storage format for geologic-feature data and associated information to include terminology and symbology applicable to Washington State geology. They will use the Carnation 7.5-minute USGS quadrangle (King County, Washington) geologic map database as the transition subject for this NCGMP09 in the development of a "cook book" and "lessons learned" documentation that will serve as feedback for the standard developers and will assist other users of geologic data, helping to smooth their transition to the FGDC-endorsed geologic map standard.
- Science Support - Assisted USGS biology, geology, and water scientists in obtaining imagery, elevation, and other geospatial data.
- 3D Elevation Program Inventory - Validated information on known datasets and documented new datasets to update the national inventory of high-resolution elevation data - http://www.csc.noaa.gov/inventory/.
- Outreach - Conducted and coordinated National Geospatial Program outreach activities by attending a range of meetings, participating in conferences, and coordinating trainings and workshops to support the geospatial community in the State.
- Emergency Response - Liaisons provide general geospatial data discovery and acquisition assistance during emergencies as those events occur throughout the fiscal year.