The National Map partnership network cultivates and maintains long-term relationships with
partners and develops agreements for The National Map and other initiatives that support USGS
science. Partnerships are the foundation The National Map because they leverage funding across
organizations to provide significant cost savings, reduce redundancy in geospatial data acquisition and
stewardship, and ensure availability of common base data to a broad range of users and applications.
North Carolina Statewide Orthoimagery Project
The $12.3M statewide collection of 6 inch, natural color ortho photography, funded in its entirety by the NC 911 Board, is on schedule and nearing completion of the processing and QC phases.
November 3, 2010
Fiscal Year 2012 Highlights
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency - Partnership to acquire over 650 square miles of high-resolution imagery over portions of Charlotte to support community planning, emergency response, and science, environmental, and mapping user communities.
FGDC CAP Grant Support
- North Carolina Office of the State Chief Information Officer - (Category 4: Fifty States Initiative: Business Plan Development and Implementation) - This project will establish a business case for the ongoing maintenance of the North Carolina Master Address Database (NC MADB). The business plan developed through this project will document roles for stewardship of the dataset, operational costs for ongoing maintenance for the MADB, and establish the benefits and metrics for demonstrating the return on investment for maintenance funding. The development of the business plan will support and advance current activities to improve addressing information in the State in support of the National Broadband Map, future work with the U.S. Census Bureau, and the development of Next Generation 911.
- The Carbon Project, the North Carolina Secretary of State, Land Records Management Program and Fairview Industries - (Category 5: FGDC-endorsed Standards Implementation Training and Outreach) - The project will assist in the development of the Federal Geographic Data Committee-endorsed standard for Cadastral Data Content through the development of an implementation model with the intent of enabling "seamless" parcel data sharing among local, State, Tribal, and Federal organizations. This Parcel Data Model and associated technical guidance will be freely available and help promote uptake of the FGDC Cadastral Data Content Standard across the United States National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI).
- Science Support - Assisted USGS biology, geology, and water scientists in obtaining imagery, elevation, and other geospatial data.
- 3D Elevation Program Inventory - Validated information on known datasets and documented new datasets to update the national inventory of high-resolution elevation data - http://www.csc.noaa.gov/inventory/.
- Outreach - Conducted and coordinated National Geospatial Program outreach activities by attending a range of meetings, participating in conferences, and coordinating trainings and workshops to support the geospatial community in the State.
- Emergency Response - Liaisons provide general geospatial data discovery and acquisition assistance during emergencies as those events occur throughout the fiscal year.