The National Map partnership network cultivates and maintains long-term relationships with
partners and develops agreements for The National Map and other initiatives that support USGS
science. Partnerships are the foundation The National Map because they leverage funding across
organizations to provide significant cost savings, reduce redundancy in geospatial data acquisition and
stewardship, and ensure availability of common base data to a broad range of users and applications.
Fiscal Year 2012 Highlights
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency - Partnership to acquire over 750 square miles of high-resolution imagery over Reno and Carson City to support community planning, emergency response, and science, environmental, and mapping user communities.
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, Clark County - Partnership to acquire over 1,450 square miles of high-resolution imagery over Las Vegas to support community planning, emergency response, and science, environmental, and mapping user communities.
FGDC CAP Grant Support
- Nevada Geographic Information Society - (Category 4: Fifty States Initiative: Business Plan Development and Implementation) - This project will create two statewide business plans within Nevada. The first plan will be for parcel GIS datasets and the other plan will be for enhanced elevation datasets (for example, lidar). Ownership boundaries (parcels) and elevation data are key facets of geospatial data infrastructure in Nevada. Business plans will help establish feasible, stable infrastructure while minimizing redundant effort and increasing data availability. The business plans will include an inventory of available datasets, statewide requirements for data, State business cases for coordinated data collection efforts, and strategies for moving forward.
- Science Support - Assisted USGS biology, geology, and water scientists in obtaining imagery, elevation, and other geospatial data.
- 3D Elevation Program Inventory - Validated information on known datasets and documented new datasets to update the national inventory of high-resolution elevation data - http://www.csc.noaa.gov/inventory/.
- Outreach - Conducted and coordinated National Geospatial Program outreach activities by attending a range of meetings, participating in conferences, and coordinating trainings and workshops to support the geospatial community in the State.
- Emergency Response - Liaisons provide general geospatial data discovery and acquisition assistance during emergencies as those events occur throughout the fiscal year.