The National Map partnership network cultivates and maintains long-term relationships with
partners and develops agreements for The National Map and other initiatives that support USGS
science. Partnerships are the foundation The National Map because they leverage funding across
organizations to provide significant cost savings, reduce redundancy in geospatial data acquisition and
stewardship, and ensure availability of common base data to a broad range of users and applications.
Fiscal Year 2012 Highlights
- Maine Office of GIS and State Planning Office - Partnership to acquire over 2,461 square miles of lidar in order to complete lidar coverage forSagadahoc, Lincoln, Knox, and Waldo Counties, and portions of Aroostook County to support multiple studies including flood analysis and response, vegetation mapping, structures mapping, land use planning, geologic mapping, transportation planning, and habitat modeling by providing data for analysis.
- Maine Office of GIS - Partnership to develop and pilot a methodology for integrating islands into the National Hydrography Dataset.
- Maine Office of GIS - Partnership to acquire over 2,486 square miles of high-resolution imagery over York and Cumberland Counties to support community planning, emergency response, and user communities for science, environmental protection, and municipal mapping.
FGDC CAP Grant Support
- State of Maine, Maine Office of GIS - (Category 4: Fifty States Initiative: Business Plan Development and Implementation) - Maine's GeoLibrary Board will implement the concepts defined is its 2009 strategic and business planning for geospatial data related to orthoimagery. The board will conduct outreach to county officials, municipalities, private companies, nonprofit organization, and other interested parties. The goal is better aerial orthoimagery for Maine, better coordination of geospatial activities, and a better base layer for developing other geospatial data.
- Science Support - Assisted USGS biology, geology, and water scientists in obtaining imagery, elevation, and other geospatial data.
- 3D Elevation Program Inventory - Validated information on known datasets and documented new datasets to update the national inventory of high-resolution elevation data - http://www.csc.noaa.gov/inventory/.
- Outreach - Conducted and coordinated National Geospatial Program outreach activities by attending a range of meetings, participating in conferences, and coordinating trainings and workshops to support the geospatial community in the State.
- Emergency Response - Liaisons provide general geospatial data discovery and acquisition assistance during emergencies as those events occur throughout the fiscal year.