The National Map partnership network cultivates and maintains long-term relationships with
partners and develops agreements for The National Map and other initiatives that support USGS
science. Partnerships are the foundation The National Map because they leverage funding across
organizations to provide significant cost savings, reduce redundancy in geospatial data acquisition and
stewardship, and ensure availability of common base data to a broad range of users and applications.
Iowa Geocoding Project
In 2009 the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (IADNR) and other Iowa agencies recieved a grant to begin buliding a state-wide address database and geocoding service (process of assigning a geographic coordinate to a street address record).
November 9, 2010
Iowa is Awarded 2010 CAP Grant
The Iowa Geographic Information Council (IGIC) was awarded a grant under the 2010 NSDI Cooperative Agreements Program. They were the recipient of Category 5: Return on Investment (ROI) Methodology and Business Case Development for...
November 9, 2010
Iowa State-wide Imagery
State-wide imagery acquistion in Iowa has been completed. This 2', 4-band, 1-meter resolution imagery was flown over three time intervals with the last acquisition being completed in the spring of 2010. This graphic illustrates the periods of acquistion.
November 9, 2010
Fiscal Year 2012 Highlights
- Iowa Department of Natural Resources - Partnership to produce local-resolution National Hydrography Dataset (NHD) data over numerous 12-digit Hydrologic Units for various areas of the State.
FGDC CAP Grant Support
- Iowa Geographic Information Council - (Category 3: Expanding the State GIS Inventory) - The Expanding GIS Inventory System in Iowa (EGIS Iowa) project will work with organizations across the State of Iowa to create, improve, and update their metadata records stored on gisinventory.net as well as in the Iowa Geospatial Data Clearinghouse. The expected outcome of EGIS Iowa will be that more metadata records describing GIS data and Web services, especially those relevant to emergency management applications, will be created and available to users of Geo.Data.gov and the Geospatial Platform.
- Iowa Geographic Information Council - (Category 4: Fifty States Initiative: Business Plan Development and Implementation) - The Iowa Geographic Information Council (IGIC), along with its local, State, and Federal government partners, will lead an effort to develop detailed business plans for establishing sustainable programs for statewide orthoimagery, parcels/administrative boundaries, and addresses/structures. IGIC will create working groups composed of GIS technical experts, vendors, program managers, and GIS users who will devise plans for creating and maintaining these layers within the context of the Iowa Geospatial Infrastructure, Iowa's contribution to the National Spatial Data Infrastructure. Development of business plans for these framework layers is seen as meeting strategic objectives that move the State's geospatial community forward.
- Science Support - Assisted USGS biology, geology, and water scientists in obtaining imagery, elevation, and other geospatial data.
- 3D Elevation Program Inventory - Validated information on known datasets and documented new datasets to update the national inventory of high-resolution elevation data - http://www.csc.noaa.gov/inventory/.
- Outreach - Conducted and coordinated National Geospatial Program outreach activities by attending a range of meetings, participating in conferences, and coordinating trainings and workshops to support the geospatial community in the State.
- Emergency Response - Liaisons provide general geospatial data discovery and acquisition assistance during emergencies as those events occur throughout the fiscal year.